A sore throat is the result of an inflammation of the pharynx, the tube that extends from the back of the mouth to the esophagus.
Some of the major causes of this condition are viral, bacterial, or fungal infections; irritants like pollution, smoking, acid reflux, or dry air; excessive shouting; or some kind of allergic reaction. A sore throat is often accompanied by a headache, stomach ache, the common cold and swollen glands in the neck.
Sore throats, while very common, can be painful and uncomfortable. Instead of making an appointment with a doctor, you can try some easy, natural remedies that will help alleviate the pain and, depending on the cause, possibly cure the problem.
1. Baking Soda Gargle
This is one of the simplest and most effective sore threat remedies around. Baking soda soothes the irritation and relieves the pain. It also helps to get rid of the bacteria causing the problem.
- Dissolve one tablespoon of baking soda into a glass of lukewarm water. Mix the solution very well.
- Take a big sip and gargle for as long as you can.
- Try not to eat or drink anything for at least half an hour after the treatment.
- Use this remedy four to six times a day.
You can use fresh lemons to get relief from a sore throat as they help remove mucus.
- Try hot lemonade with honey. Mix the juice from half a lemon and one teaspoon of honey in one cup of warm water. Sip it slowly.
- Another option is to gargle with freshly pressed lemon juice diluted with an equal amount of warm water.
- You can also take half a lemon and sprinkle salt and pepper over it. Slowly lick the lemon.
3. Bee Honey
The medicinal properties of honey have been known for thousands of years. It is used for treating all kinds of symptoms and sore throat is no exception.
In addition to fighting the bacteria which cause the problem, it has a potent soothing effect. Besides, the sugar in it will give you a pleasant energy boost for fighting dry throat
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is helpful for treating a sore throat due to its antibiotic property
- Add one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and one teaspoon each of lemon juice and honey to a cup of warm water and drink it slowly. Do this two or three times a day. Soon you will get relief from the pain and inflammation.
- You can also make a gargle solution with apple cider vinegar. Mix one teaspoon of salt and one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in one cup of warm water. Gargle with it several times a day.
5. Garlic Cloves
Yes, raw garlic is actually among the most effective sore throat remedies, believe it or not. It has potent antibacterial properties so it is an effective treatment rather than a simple symptom reliever.
Besides, garlic is rich in antioxidants which help to boost immunity. This is how you will get rid of the cold or flu more quickly.
- Peel one or two garlic cloves after finishing your meal and chew them slowly so that the juice can cover your throat.
- If the garlic is too spicy for you, take small bites. Avoid drinking water or eating another food while chewing it to get the best result.
6. Salt Water
One of the best ways to get relief from a sore throat is gargling with salt water. Salt works like an antiseptic and helps draw water out of mucous membranes in the throat. This cuts phlegm and reduces inflammation, giving you instant relief.
- Mix one-half teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water. If you do not like the salty taste, add a small amount of honey.
- Gargle with the solution. Do not swallow it. Spit the water out after gargling.
- Do this at least four times a day for best results.
7. Slippery Elm
Slippery elm contains mucilage, a gel-like substance that coats the throat, eases soreness and reduces irritation.
- Add one teaspoon of the inner bark of slippery elm to two cups of boiling water.
- Let it steep for a few minutes, and then strain the solution.
- Drink it slowly while it is still warm.
In fact, you can use this solution for the treatment of any kind of respiratory illness or laryngitis. If the herb is not available, you can also buy slippery elm in capsule form from any drug store.
8. hot water
1.hot water is also very helpful in sore throat